Presenter: Peter Crosby, Chief Sales Officer, Viadeo twitter: @petercrosby
Don’t disrupt the user journey
- Mobile finding solutions to disruption
- Why introduce dissonance at the point of the ad serve?
- Greater impact by walking the user path?
iAd is unique: 1 billion impressions a month possible, does not make you leave the app to see the advert.
Quality vs Quantity
Lower volumes, highly targeted, lead better to CTR& higher levels of advocacy
Issue is that people still want to see quanity
Immersive & useful
- 3D consumer portrait
- Nokia Point & Find/Google Goggles
People don’t want to engage with an ad, they’re in social media to socialise
Producing highly engaging ads for social media lead to better click-through rates
Don’t build a village!
Building your own community site is expensive and usually doesn’t succeed.
Be helpful and sociable, it works both offline and online
Digital word of mouth
Your customers are talking anyway, get in the conversation. If you can’t trust your employees to talk about your brand, you have a HR problem not a social media policy problem.
The real challenge is not what advertising you use it’s “What have you got?” Can someone share or retweet a display ad or a search ad?
Good ol’ fashioned data
- Social recruiting
- A data driven propostion
Good ads get circulated, bad ads disappear
- We know where you’re going on holiday
- “Best buddy” not “Big brother”
- O2 More – over 1 million people have opted-in to SMS advertising
- Why would I want to participate?
- Reject or engage – fear of rejection means not finding out to focus on
- eBay Germany – Tested communities Those who opted in gave free advice, spoke positively about eBay, eBay made $20 M dollars more from members